Do I need a Building Permit?

If you are planning a home improvement project you may be wondering, “Do I need a permit?” 

Building permits are required to construct, add onto, alter, remove, demolish or repair a structure. Examples of projects that require a permit are: re-roofing, re-siding, garages, sheds, decks, signs, remodels, fence, and any electrical/plumbing work.  A permit ensures that proper services are provided to safeguard life, health, general public welfare and property values. Through the permit process, city staff will review permitted construction work and installations to ensure that they are done safely and in accordance with current requirements. In advance of when you wish to begin work, submitting all the required information about your project along with the permit application form will help to ensure a timely review and permit issuance.  For additional information about permit requirements, please visit our Planning & Building page. If you are unsure if your project requires a permit or if you have other questions, please contact the Building Inspector/Zoning Official at 563.927.1112.

Curfew Law

The Manchester Police Department would like to remind parents (and children alike) that it is important to know and obey the city ordinance regarding curfew. While the child who violates the ordinance is accountable for their actions, parents of minor children are ultimately responsible for the safety and welfare of their children. Curfew violation can be punishable by a fine. The Manchester City Police work to ensure the safety of children and everyone. You can help the police by speaking to your children about curfew and encouraging compliance. 

Bike Licenses

The City of Manchester encourages residents to license their bicycles. Bicycle licenses cost $5.00 and shall be valid for the period of time that the bicycle is owned by the applicant. Please provide the serial number, color, size and brand name of the bike. Having your bicycle licensed makes it possible for the Police Department to return lost or stolen bikes to their owner! If your bike is lost or stolen, please contact the Police Department at 563.927.3355 to see if it has been found.

Winter Weather & Travel Information

Iowa Department of Transportation Travel Information

The City crews attempt to keep streets passable; however, depending on the type, nature and duration of a storm, streets may be slippery or at times impassable. Residents are urged to use caution when it is necessary to be on City streets during a snowstorm or during snow removal operations.

A loaded plow truck or sander truck weighs as much as 10 small cars, and needs more room to stop, especially on slick surfaces. Even if you have the right of way, the snow plow may not be able to stop if you pull out. If you wait a few more seconds, you will have a plowed and sanded surface on which to drive. Also remember the sand truck spreads material out of the back, so please don’t follow to close; we don’t want your vehicle to be damaged by flying sand and material.

With your help, snow plowing can be done better, faster and more efficiently, making our streets safer for you. We are always here to serve you better.

Arboricultural/Tree Planting Guidelines

Tree Planting Guidelines (Arboricultural Specifications)

Where can I take my yard/garden debris?

The City’s compost site is open every day from sun-up to sun-down. Only residents of the City are allowed to drop off items at the site. However, anyone can remove compost or brush items. Please follow the regulations posted.

Compost items accepted include: leaves, twigs, grass, nuts, bushes, hedges, trees & stumps, branches, woody vegetation, vines, flowers, garden vegetation, apples, pears, sweet corn stalks, husks & cobs, hay or straw bales, pumpkins, melons, etc. Logs larger than 4-inches must be placed in the firewood pile. The compost site does not allow construction material, concrete, bricks, landscape materials or livestock/domestic animal manure.

What do I do with storm debris?

City crews routinely collect fallen debris and damaged limbs from trees. Special collections may be done following significant storms as determined by City staff. The property owner is responsible for the maintenance and care of any tree located on private property. The compost site is available year round, sun-up to sun-down, for disposal of yard debris. Feel free to call the City Office with any questions you may have at 563.927.3636.

The tree in my terrace appears to be dead or dying, who should I call?

Please direct your calls to the City Office at 563.927.3636. The Street Superintendent and member(s) of the Forestry Committee will assess the tree and determine the appropriate action to be taken.

Do I need permission to plant or remove a tree in the City's right of way?

Before a tree can be planted or removed in the City’s right of way, a permit must be obtained. This permit may be obtained at no cost from City Hall, 208 East Main Street, Manchester, Iowa. A tree permit will only cover the planting or removal of a tree.

Prior to digging or doing any underground work, utilities must be located. Utility locations are done free of charge by calling Iowa One Call at 800.292.8989.

Tree Permit – Please return to City Hall, 208 East Main Street, Manchester, IA 52057.

Permits & Licensing

Birth, Death, Marriage Certificate

These certificates may be obtained from the Delaware County Recorder’s Office, 563.927.4665.

Building Permit

Building Permits are obtained at the City Office, 208 East Main Street, 563.927.3636. Read More

Business License

Manchester does not have a business license requirement. However, verification should be obtained from the City that the zoning ordinance allows for your business use type. You should also check with the Iowa Department of Revenue for any state requirements.

Car, Boat, Motorcycle, Snowmobile License

These licenses may be obtained from the Delaware County Treasurer’s Office, 563.927.2845.

Cat License

Cats are not licensed by the City of Manchester.

Cigarette Permit

Please contact the City Office at 563.927.3636 to obtain a Cigarette Permit.

Dog License

Please present your current proof of rabies vaccination, breed, name, color and owner information to the City Office, 208 East Main Street. Read More

Driver’s License

Questions regarding your driver’s license should be directed to Delaware County Treasurer’s Office at 563.927.2845.

Liquor License

To acquire or renew a liquor license, please contact the City Office at 563.927.3636.


Passports are available through the United States Post Office or through the Delaware County Auditor’s Office.

Fall Leaf Pick Up Schedule

Section 1: Mondays

All areas south of Butler Street, but not including Butler Street

Section 2: Tuesdays

Butler Street to Union Street, including Butler and Union Street

Section 3: Wednesdays

North of East Union Street to East Acers Street; From North Franklin Street to the east, including East Acers and North Franklin Street

Section 4: Thursdays

North of West Union and West of North Franklin to Acers Street; then all areas North to the City Limits from Acers Street, not including East Acers or West Union

Leaves may be put into the street 48-hours prior to your scheduled pick up.

  • Must be in the street before 7:00 a.m. on your day
  • Rake into windrows on street 2-feet away from the curb line
  • Do not park vehicles within 50-feet of windrows
  • No bags or containers
  • No sticks, twigs, or brush in the leaves
  • Equipment may work ahead of schedule

Please remember…..crews do their best to stay as close to the published schedule as possible. And although equipment does work ahead when possible, work will take place in the designated areas on the scheduled days. Likewise, equipment may break down or, heavy rain or snow may also interfere with the pick up schedule. The compost site is open from sun up to sun down for your convenience.

Spring Pickup

As part of the City of Manchester’s commitment to Pride Week, City crews help to pick up spring yard waste pick-up. There is only one Spring pick-up. Crews will pick up leaves, vegetation and other yard waste, including small twigs. This material must be placed next to the curb by 7:00 A.M. in clear, plastic bags or in waterproof containers no greater than 35 pounds. Material in cardboard boxes or colored bags will NOT be picked up. Larger sticks and branches must be tied up in bundles no more than 6 feet long or larger than 12 inches around. Crews will not pick up stumps or entire trees or shrubs.

The City’s Compost Site is also open sun up to sun down on South Brewer Street. Please dump materials according to signs posted at the site. It is illegal to dispose of garbage or trash at the Compost Site. Violators will be fined.

How do I get in contact with FEMA?

Once Delaware County has been declared a federal disaster area, those affected will need to contact the following agencies:


8am – 6pm, Sunday – Saturday
Individuals may also apply online at www.fema.gov
Speech or Hearing Impaired: 1-800-462-7585


8am – 4pm, Monday – Friday


7am – 10pm, Monday – Friday

FEMA Disaster Recovery Center
Location: 2655 210th Street, Earlville, Iowa 52041
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am – 7pm | Saturday, 9am – 5pm

Please Register by calling 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585 or register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.

Fall Pickup

The City of Manchester picks up City resident’s leaves during designated times in the fall. Leaves may be put into the street 48-hours prior to your pick up time and must be there no later than 7:00am on your scheduled day. (Residents placing leaves into the street more than 48-hours in advance will be ticketed.) Leaves must be raked into windrows at least 2 feet from the curb. Remember – no bags or containers and no sticks, twigs or brush can be mixed in with the leaves. Pickup is announced on KMCH, in the Manchester Press and on the local access channel.

Is my water safe to drink?

Unless a boil order has been publicly declared, the City of Manchester’s water is always safe to drink.

For callers Outside the City Limits, all water and well questions should be directed to the Delaware County Sanitation Department (Dennis Lyons) at 563.927.5925.

Should we conserve water?

If water must be conserved the City will issue a public declaration via radio, television and/or website.

How do I report a blocked storm drain?

Please contact the City of Manchester, Monday – Friday (8:00am – 4:00pm) at 563-927-3636.

After hours and weekends, please contact the Manchester Police Department at 563-927-3355.

Where can I get sandbags?

Sandbags may be obtained at the City Shop, 324 S 3rd Street, 563-927-3636.

Where can I find out information during a flood?

Residents are encouraged to call City Hall with any questions they may have at 563-927-3636.

Information will be made available to KMCH, the local access channel 81 (79.2) and the City website as soon as it becomes available.

The Manchester Police Department also encourages residents to sign up for NIXLE, a free, text-messaging service that alerts individuals on the latest weather-related information.

How do I report flooding in my neighborhood?

To report flooding, please contact the City Office, Monday – Friday (8:00am – 4:00pm) at 563-927-3636. After hours and during the weekend, please contact the Police Department at 563-927-3355.