FAQ  |  Animals & Animal Control

Vicious Dogs

It is unlawful for any person to harbor or keep a vicious dog within the City.  A dog is deemed to be vicious when it has attacked or bitten any person without provocation, or when propensity to attack or bite persons exists and is known or ought reasonably to be known to the owner.

How do I report a lost/found animal?

To report a lost or found animal, please contact the Animal Control Department at 563.927.3355.

Dog Licensing Information

Dogs over the age of 10 weeks, living within the City Limits, must be licensed within 60 days of acquisition. License fee is $20 per neutered/spayed dog, or $50 per unaltered dog. This is a lifetime license. Proof of rabies vaccination must be provided. Rabies vaccination cannot expire within 6 months of the date of application for dog license.

While walking your dog in Manchester, please bring a baggie with you to pick up your pet’s waste and dispose of it at home. Or better yet, take advantage of one of the 7 the Dogipot waste stations located throughout the community. And please remember, it is unlawful to allow your dog to relieve themselves on someone else’s property.

Also, when your dog is not in an enclosed area, remember to keep your pet on a leash. A leash provides emergency control over your pet. Even if your dog has perfect recall and you can control their every move from 100 feet away – you can’t control the world around them. You may encounter unfriendly dogs, irresistible temptations in the form of rabbits or ground squirrels, or a person who is allergic or afraid of dogs. Remember, not all people will love your dog like you do!

The City of Manchester does not license cats.

Impounded Dogs

Please contact the Manchester Police Department at 563.927.3355 for release of your impounded dog. Cost for inpoundment can include: $20 Impound Fee and $5 per day for daily care. Proof of current rabies vaccination is required. If proof of rabies vaccination cannot be provided, a rabies bond of $20 must be paid until proof can be ascertained.

Wild Animals or Rodents

Please contact a licensed exterminator for any concerns about wild animals or rodents.

If a wild animal has intruded your actual living space, animal control may offer assistance removing it from your home. Animal Control may also help if you observe a sick or injured animal in an area that it could potentially cause a public safety or health risk. However, if you are having problems with a wildlife infestation, such as bats in your attic or a family of raccoons living under your porch, you will be directed to contact a professional pest removal company to handle the situation.

Dead Animal

Please contact the City of Manchester at 563.927.3636 to report a dead animal in the public street or right of way. Street crews will be notified accordingly.


The Manchester Code of Ordinances addresses items regarding Nuisance Abatement Procedures, Animal Protection & Control and Potentially Vicious Dogs. Questions or concerns should be directed to the Manchester Police Department at 563.927.3355 or the City Office at 563-927-1112.