FAQ  |  Permits & Licensing

Do I need a Building Permit?

If you are planning a home improvement project you may be wondering, “Do I need a permit?” 

Building permits are required to construct, add onto, alter, remove, demolish or repair a structure. Examples of projects that require a permit are: re-roofing, re-siding, garages, sheds, decks, signs, remodels, fence, and any electrical/plumbing work.  A permit ensures that proper services are provided to safeguard life, health, general public welfare and property values. Through the permit process, city staff will review permitted construction work and installations to ensure that they are done safely and in accordance with current requirements. In advance of when you wish to begin work, submitting all the required information about your project along with the permit application form will help to ensure a timely review and permit issuance.  For additional information about permit requirements, please visit our Planning & Building page. If you are unsure if your project requires a permit or if you have other questions, please contact the Building Inspector/Zoning Official at 563.927.1112.

Curfew Law

Minors ages 16 & 17:

  • 11pm Sunday-Thursday.
  • 12 Midnight Friday & Saturday.

Minors under age 16:

  • 10pm Sunday-Thursday.
  • 11pm Friday & Saturday.

The Manchester Police Department would like to remind parents (and children alike) that it is important to know and obey the city ordinance regarding curfew. While the child who violates the ordinance is accountable for their actions, parents of minor children are ultimately responsible for the safety and welfare of their children. Curfew violation can be punishable by a fine. The Manchester City Police work to ensure the safety of children and everyone. You can help the police by speaking to your children about curfew and encouraging compliance. 

Bike Licenses

The City of Manchester encourages residents to license their bicycles. Bicycle licenses cost $5.00 and shall be valid for the period of time that the bicycle is owned by the applicant. Please provide the serial number, color, size and brand name of the bike. Having your bicycle licensed makes it possible for the Police Department to return lost or stolen bikes to their owner! If your bike is lost or stolen, please contact the Police Department at 563.927.3355 to see if it has been found.

Permits & Licensing

Birth, Death, Marriage Certificate

These certificates may be obtained from the Delaware County Recorder’s Office, 563.927.4665.

Building Permit

Building Permits are obtained at the City Office, 208 East Main Street, 563-927-1112. Read More

Business License

Manchester does not have a business license requirement. However, verification should be obtained from the City that the zoning ordinance allows for your business use type. You should also check with the Iowa Department of Revenue for any state requirements.

Car, Boat, Motorcycle, Snowmobile License

These licenses may be obtained from the Delaware County Treasurer’s Office, 563.927.2845.

Cat License

Cats are not licensed by the City of Manchester.

Cigarette Permit

Please contact the City Office at 563-927-1112 to obtain a Cigarette Permit.

Dog License

Please present your current proof of rabies vaccination, breed, name, color and owner information to the City Office, 208 East Main Street. Read More

Driver’s License

Questions regarding your driver’s license should be directed to Delaware County Treasurer’s Office at 563.927.2845.

Liquor License

To acquire or renew a liquor license, please contact the City Office at 563-927-1112.


Passports are available through the United States Post Office or through the Delaware County Auditor’s Office.

Dog Licensing Information

Dogs over the age of 10 weeks, living within the City Limits, must be licensed within 60 days of acquisition. License fee is $20 per neutered/spayed dog, or $50 per unaltered dog. This is a lifetime license. Proof of rabies vaccination must be provided. Rabies vaccination cannot expire within 6 months of the date of application for dog license.

While walking your dog in Manchester, please bring a baggie with you to pick up your pet’s waste and dispose of it at home. Or better yet, take advantage of one of the 7 the Dogipot waste stations located throughout the community. And please remember, it is unlawful to allow your dog to relieve themselves on someone else’s property.

Also, when your dog is not in an enclosed area, remember to keep your pet on a leash. A leash provides emergency control over your pet. Even if your dog has perfect recall and you can control their every move from 100 feet away – you can’t control the world around them. You may encounter unfriendly dogs, irresistible temptations in the form of rabbits or ground squirrels, or a person who is allergic or afraid of dogs. Remember, not all people will love your dog like you do!

The City of Manchester does not license cats.