FAQ  |  Trees & Landscaping

Yard Waste

CURBSIDE LEAF PICKUP: mid-October through Thanksgiving, weather permitting. Dates announced in the fall. More Fall Leaf Pick Up Information

CHRISTMAS TREE PICK UP: one day pickup. January. Date announced mid-December. More Holiday Tree Pick Up Information

COMPOST SITE & BRUSH DUMP: Customers may take yard trimmings to the Compost Site at 541 S Brewer Street, free of charge. Open sun-up to sun-down. Please follow regulations posted at the site. Construction material, concrete, landscape materials and manure are not accepted. 

Arboricultural/Tree Planting Guidelines

Tree Planting Guidelines (Arboricultural Specifications)

Where can I take my yard/garden debris?

The City’s compost site at 541 S Brewer Street is open every day from sun-up to sun-down. Only residents of the City are allowed to drop off items at the site. However, anyone can remove compost or brush items. Please follow the regulations posted.

Compost items accepted include: leaves, twigs, grass, nuts, bushes, hedges, trees & stumps, branches, woody vegetation, vines, flowers, garden vegetation, apples, pears, sweet corn stalks, husks & cobs, hay or straw bales, pumpkins, melons, etc. Logs larger than 4-inches must be placed in the firewood pile. The compost site does not allow construction material, concrete, bricks, landscape materials or livestock/domestic animal manure.

What do I do with storm debris?

City crews routinely collect fallen debris and damaged limbs from trees. Special collections may be done following significant storms as determined by City staff. The property owner is responsible for the maintenance and care of any tree located on private property. The compost site is available year round, sun-up to sun-down, for disposal of yard debris. Feel free to call the City Office with any questions you may have at 563.927.3636.

The tree in my terrace appears to be dead or dying, who should I call?

Please direct your calls to the City Office at 563.927.3636. The Street Superintendent and member(s) of the Forestry Committee will assess the tree and determine the appropriate action to be taken.

Do I need permission to plant or remove a tree in the City's right of way?

Before a tree can be planted or removed in the City’s right of way, a permit must be obtained. This permit may be obtained at no cost from City Hall, 208 East Main Street, Manchester, Iowa. A tree permit will only cover the planting or removal of a tree.

Prior to digging or doing any underground work, utilities must be located. Utility locations are done free of charge by calling Iowa One Call at 800.292.8989.

Tree Permit – Please return to City Hall, 208 East Main Street, Manchester, IA 52057.