The Manchester Fire Department is strictly volunteer.
The department’s 32 volunteer firefighters provide emergency response, fire protection services, and mutual aid to the City of Manchester, 16 townships within Delaware County, and to many neighboring communities, both in and outside of Delaware County.
The City is extremely proud of the quality of the fire department and their commitment. It is amazing to see the number of hours the volunteers annually commit to fire and rescue calls, training, and assisting the local hospital ambulance service as first responders. On average, the fire department responds to over _______calls annually; approximately _____% of those calls are EMS-related.
- Chapter 105.05 Open Burning Restricted
- Chapter 105.10 (3) Incinerators
- Chapter 135.08 May not burn any trash, leaves, rubbish or other combustible material in any curb and gutter or on any paved or surfaced street or alley.
- Link to state-wide open burning bans) https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/state-fire-marshal/burn-bans
Fire Prevention & Safety
- Chapter 35 Fire Department
- Chapter 47.03 Fires on City Property (parks)
- Chapter 105 Health & Fire Hazard
- Chapter 91.03 Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Chapter 156.02 Metal Conduit to be used in Fire Zones
- Chapter 145.03 Unsafe Building
- Chapter 16.02 Housing Quality Standards
Severe Weather Awareness
Severe weather is monitored by trained members of the fire department and other emergency management personnel. Individuals can stay on top of severe weather via weather radios, internet, local radio/tv news stations as well as “Manchester Info Now”.
Become a Volunteer Firefighter
The department accepts applications from adults regardless of gender, race, religious or sexual preference. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid driver’s license, and pass a criminal background check. Applicants desiring to be firefighters and/or EMTs should be able to handle the physical requirements and demands of the job. Applications are available on our website below, in-person, or can be mailed to you upon request.
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Home Fire Escape Plan
Codes & Standards