Who do I contact if I think I have a gas leak?
Please follow these steps if you suspect a gas leak:
- When natural gas is burning and vented properly, you will never smell it. However, if you do smell natural gas, don’t ignore it. Call your gas company. Your safety may depend on it.
- Exit the premises immediately, leaving the door open behind you as you go.
- Don’t look for the source of the gas leak or try to correct the problem yourself.
- Use a cell phone outside or go to a neighbor’s house and call 911 or your local emergency number. Then call Black Hills Energy’s emergency number, it is 800.694.8989.
- Don’t strike matches, turn lights or appliances on or off, use the telephone or ring the doorbell. These things can create a spark. Leave doors and windows as they are.
The Black Hills Energy emergency number is 800.694.8989.